Events for December 2016 - May 2017
Gesangverein Concordia, currently a 36-voice mixed chorus, was founded in Sheboygan in 1860. We are celebrating our 156th anniversary this year.
The main goal of our organization is to perpetuate the German heritage in our area. When the society was formed its purpose was to spread and preserve the German language and song. That ethnic love continues today. Our members love to sing and perform for many community events throughout the year (see events at the panel to the right). The picture above was taken at our 2012 annual concert.
We would like to thank our active and passive members, contributors, and advertisers for their continued support in helping to preserve the German heritage in song.
Concordia Singing Society
• Saturday, December 3rd, 2016 2:00 PM. Christmas Concert at the Historic Walderhaus, 1100 W. Riverside Dr, Kohler, WI. A chance to view the wonderful Gingerbread Houses that are built by students of the Sheboygan area schools. Public invited.
• Sunday, December 4th, 2016 7:00 PM. Concordia sings for "Making Spirits Bright" at the Quarry Shelter House, Sheboygan. Public invited.
• Thursday, December 8th, 2016 8:00 PM. Performance for Sheboygan People to People organization at Sheboygan Elk's Lodge.
• Sunday December 11th, 2016 1:00 PM. Howard's Grove High School Choral Department/Concordia Joint Christmas Concert at The Weil Center in Sheboygan. Public invited.
• Sunday December 18th, 2016 4:00 PM. Concordia Christmas Party at Concordia Club House.
• Tuesday, January 17th, 2017 7:00 PM. Concordia Annual Officer Elections at Concordia Club House.
• Friday, March 3rd, 2017, 5:30 PM. Gesangverein Concordia celebrates their 157th Stiftungsfest (anniversary) at Klemmes Wagon Wheel Restaurant, 120 S. Wisconsin Dr, Howards Grove. Reservations required. Details to follow.
• Saturday, May 20th, 2017, Annual Wisconsin Saengerkommers, Kenosha.
Details. to follow.
Consider becoming a member of our group. You needn't be able to speak German. If you like to sing and would enjoy performing German (and some English) songs, you are welcome to join us. Please see the contact information listed in the Contacts page of this site, or simply contact one of the members listed on our Members page. Membership fees are $24 per year for Active Members and $15 per year for Passive Members.
Our rehearsals typically start at 7 p.m. on Tuesdays at the Concordia Club House, 1130 N. 9th St, Sheboygan, WI 53081. Rehearsals end at 8:30 p.m. or at the discretion of the director. After each rehearsal, we have a time for birthday celebrations and Gemütlichkeit (camaraderie).
Monthly meetings are normally held the second Friday, weather permitting, of each month at 7 p.m. All members are encouraged to attend. Meetings are held at the Club House.
Our Corresponding Secretary is available to answer questions from the press, organizations, and groups. Simply Email your request to the contact email on the contact page.